Tuesday, October 05, 2021

Poop Scooping Meditations

RIP Kelsey Grae 
a good mare
After nearly 50 years of scooping horse poop I've come to realize it's no longer the chore it was.  Scooping poop has become a core part of my life. Essential, even -- and not just for the horses' sake, but for my own.  

When I'm scooping my worrying mind is shunted to the background, creating space for all kinds of interesting stuff to bubble to the foreground.  Granted, there's a certain amount of useless babble, but I've learned to gently nudge that aside to let those golden bits of insight pop into my mind.

Yes, I call those bubbles insights.  They're little nuggets of stuff that, through personal experience and repetition, I don't usually think to share and that most people don't even talk about.  Usually that's because the information seems small.  Too insignificant to bother with.  And yet even so, this knowledge is the fabric that is the human-horse relationship.  

I've decided it's time to share these bubbles so that you might become more aware of them yourself. I'm doing it for me, for you, and most especially for all the horses we love.

💜

My mare Kelsey Grae was buried in August. What started out as a scraped knee somehow escalated to a broken bone and death. It was one more thing in a week of tough things. I don't want to dwell  on it here, but if you want to read more, I posted it on my main blog.

Thank you Grace for the heart plaque that sits on my desks and reminds me of the love I've had for Kelsey and all the horses that have passed on from my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment